Sunday, September 4, 2011

Texture

In art, texture can be experienced by touch or created as an illusion of touch. Texture in art can stimulate the senses. When one can actually feel the texture they become aware of the of a visual piece of art in a very tactile way. Another way of using texture is by simulation. The artist paints objects that appear to be realistic. The texture is implied.  Some refer to these paintings as being fake. The proper name is, Trompe l'eoil. --paintings that are intended to "fool the eye."



When texture is repeated, patterns are formed. Patterns may be easily distinguished in some textures and not so much in others. Having reached this point, let's  segue into people patterns. Primarily, we think of thought and behavior patterns. What are they and where do they come from? Positive seems to be good, but what do we do about the negative patterns in our lives?

Am I fooling the eyes of others or simply fooling myself? I say, I am an artist, but week after week I produce nothing, but a bill from my therapist. I am a retired therapist and, apparently, a retired artist as well. My life is lacking in texture. It is plain and screaming for an interesting pattern that can be seen and felt. Even a slight change could be enough to change the pattern and add a pleasing texture to my life.

I love to admire and study the work of other artists. Maybe the meaning I find in the work of others will be enough to inspire me to put paint on the canvas.

" No pattern should be without some sort of meaning." ~ William Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment