"Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor."
William Cowper
(English Poet 1731-1800)
Variety adds visual interest to a work of art. As in art, life would be boring without variety. A Living Masterpiece is not someone who is spending life in a rut. It is too easy to get on the hamster wheel and remain there. When it come to adding variety to your life, you will find an abundance of books and articles written on relationships, marriage, and sex. You will also find ways to spice up your meals, exercise routine, and your daily schedule. These are great ways to make little changes in your life and that of your family, but let's take a look at some specifics.
When most of my former clients were asked to list hobbies and leisure activities, they said, "Going to the mountains and the beach." At one point, I began to ask them to give me the number of hours they spent on these interests per week. That was definitely an icebreaker. No interests outside of home maintenance, work, and maybe church.
I asked, "Do you read?"
"No."
"Do you collect things?"
"No."
"Do you enjoy making things?"
"No."
"If you could learn to do something new or start a hobby, what would it be?"
"I don't know. I've never thought about it."
I think you see the point. For those of us who have many interests, it's hard to imagine someone who has none. If you happen to be someone who falls in that category, I would suggest you start at the top of the list by changing your daily routine, trying new recipes, shopping at a different store, reading an interesting magazine, start walking (if your significant other or children come along--great), wear something different to bed, and if you have time, volunteer.
For those of you who believe you have too many interests, there's help. List your hobbies and interests. Write the positive things you get from each activity as well as negative issues. I know. You want to do it all. I'll bet you've never thought how all those wonderful things can get you in a rut, stress you out, or ______. you can fill in the blank. Let's face it. Some hobbies are meant for a lifetime and others go stale. If you haven't touched those counted cross-stitch books and paraphernalia in a year or two, pass them on to someone who has never tried it. Remember the joy you felt when you first discovered a new past time? Share the joy.
Sometimes we get so caught up in our variety of interests, we let other parts of our lives go stale. For heaven's sake, don't give those away! Ah ha. We, the overly stimulated hobbyists, can benefit by adding a little variety to the basics. I refer you to the beginning of the article. We want to add more than interest to our Living Masterpiece, we want to add spice! Spice up your meals, wardrobe, daily routine, relationship, and your sex life.
I intend to __________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment